Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Compendium

Now that Volume One is complete, its ready for its own post. Ta da!

And it even has its own catalogue card.

Do they still use these? And by "they", I mean my mother, step-mom and all those other crazy librarians out there. Well, even if Liza and Marsha don't use these, you can still make your own. Isn't it a bit ironic that the internet, which is likely responsible for the demise of the card catalogue, was my source for card kitsch? It's all so self-referential, but probably not as deep as I think it is.
Back to the Compendium - its my attempt at pattern organization, now nicely categorized and in individual plastic sleeves. I imagine most knitters have collected their patterns like this for years, but for some reason it took me a while to get around to finding something better than random piles of paper randomly interspersed with my knitting books in the craft room. Hopefully it won't degenerate into a major mess too quickly.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

You know I didn't think of that until a lady at my LYS mentioned it. I had been punching holes in the side and shoving them in my school folders. She scolded me and said that I was ruining the pattern. Now I have a binder too with plastic sleeves and all. I have to say, it is a hell of a lot easier.

Liza's Pages said...

I just LOVE your blog's new look and feel -- tres cool. And the index card is very cute. Not to be too librarianish but catalog cards wereusually blank. My darling daughter, we happily haven't asked anyone to type a catalog card in well over a decade -- except of course, at my (not-to-be-mentioned) previous place of employ. Susan is going to just love that scarf.