Monday, January 08, 2007

Caroline learns to Spin!

When my mom and I went to Rhinebeck in October, I acquired a lot of roving. A lot. Romney. Merino. Merino with stuff like Silk, Angora... (and accidently Merino with Acrylic). Undyed roving, dyed roving. You name it, I got it (or more accurately, my mother got it for me).
Now, this isn't unusual for many people who go to the Sheep and Wool Festival. However, for someone who had only recently expressed a mild interest in spinning, it was probably a bit much. For a few days, I experimented and ended up creating a minor disaster using my lovely top whorl spindle and some romney. Then I gave up, because clearly I had no idea what I was doing.
But on Sunday my mom and I had Spinning Lesson #1...
Here is mom teaching me how to attenuate the fleece











And here is some of my first spinning, when I let go of the roving at an inopportune moment and it all got stuck together...

My mom lent me another spindle, and I got started on something with some color. It's not even at all, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it...

1 comment:

Liza's Pages said...

Great job! You caught on very quickly and worked very hard. I really love the photograph of the Forrester spindle with the denim blue Romney. The close up shows how consistent the yarn is for a beginner. You should have seen mind. I had to use it for wrist distaffs and cat blankets. Keep it up. Spindles travel very nicely in cylindrical containers that protect the hooks, by the way!