Sunday, January 28, 2007

Ply Away!

Today was session two of Caroline Learns to Spin, where I learned how to ply. Here is the evolution of my very first skein...
Singles (wrapped on tennis balls)

Plied on the spindle

Me holding the skein

and the wrapped skein...


It came out very even, and is 40 yards, 7 wpi. We plied it using a variation of a method my mom learned from Jenny Bakridges. Instead of placing the singles in flower pots and pulling them from there, we constructed a makeshift version with boxes weighted down with books (easier to do in a library than flowerpots!) and put the singles in there to pull from. Think I've got the hang of it now... Thanks Jenny for the method! And thanks to my mom for lesson #2!

1 comment:

Liza's Pages said...

Very pretty skein, and a superb first skein, actually! And, a wonderful learner.
Mums